Thursday, April 01, 2010

Gluten Free Spring Party

Not because it's Passover, but because E can't have gluten (and L is lactose intolerant), we did a little digging for a menu for this week's dinner party. With the rain (finally!) stopping (we hope), we did want something that felt spring-y.

Menu
Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread) with Micro-greens
Filet of Flounder with Capers and Green Peppercorns en Papillote with a mushroom risotto
Pavlova with Lemon Curd and Berries

Cheese Bread
These use tapioca flour, which I had never used, and end up a little chewier/doughier than the gougeres we usually make. Everyone loved them.

Flounder
I find fish to be both boring and (almost always) badly cooked, so I'm loathe to serve it for a dinner party. The 'en papillote' convinced me - drama wins!! This was actually super-easy, tasted good (the fish was even cooked well) and were really cool looking when served. I would do it again.

Pavlova
We started with a Pavlova with Lemon Curd and Berries recipe from epicurious (Pavlova), but some of the comments didn't love the curd, so I used my go-to Lemon Curd recipe (also from epicurous - though I folded in the whipped cream, so I follwed the Pavlova recipe, just the curd itself was different) and added Strawberries and Raspberries (they show blueberries in the picture, but the blueberries I bought were nasty, so we went with red fruit (a teensy bit of sugar on the cut strawberries, added the rasperries to the bowl at the last minute, stirred them up and spooned them over the curd). People really loved it (it was sort of a Sally Field moment).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home