Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lentils and Sausage (enough said)

I like lentils and stuff. I really do. But somehow, I like them better with a little meat. But usually, it's one or the other. Until I found this recipe for Lentil Stew with Sausage at Simply Recipes. Irresistable.

I wasn't up for leaving the apartment, so I had to make a few substitutions/changes

  • I had no bacon, so I left it out (which was fine, but I'm sure bacon would have made it better - bacon makes everything better)
  • I used a combo of red lentils and mung beans (since that was what I had)
  • No chicken stock, but I actually had some veggie stock instead
  • I used spicy sausge (because it's awesome)
  • I'm out of sherry vinegar (which is a tragedy, one should always have some around), I reached in to get the cider vinegar, but on the way there, I saw my Outerbridge Sherry Pepper sauce (which I discovered while making Bermuda Fish Chowder (which is awesome) and figuring that you only live once (and that it's awesome), I substituted that
  • No parsley, so I put in a half pound of baby spinach (added it after I turned off the heat and just let it 'cook' in the heat of the stew, which worked really well

It's very, very different from most lentil stuff that I eat (I tend to head straight for the curry powder when I see lentils), and I love it. It's a fabulous lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home