Monday, February 15, 2010

Green Curry Scallops

More scallops to be creative with - and tonight I felt like green curry. It's a great winter comfort food - thick, rich and spicy. I was worried about scallops in the curry as I thought that it might overcook them - but next time, I'm going to try it. This time though, what I did was make them separately.


Green Curry Scallops
This is the basic green curry recipe, with the protein and veggies decided by what looked good at the market

2 cans coconut milk (brand is important here, I use Chaokoh – as that won for me in the taste test that we did in Kasma’s cooking class (which I HIGHLY recommend as a way to learn how to cook real Thai food)
2 Tbsp green curry paste (I use Mae Ploy brand)
Fish sauce – to taste (I use Golden Boy brand)
Palm sugar – to taste (Brand doesn’t seem to matter here)
½ head of cabbage
2 carrots
2 lbs scallops

  1. Open one of the cans of coconut milk and scoop out the Crisco-like stuff on the top (it’s the oil); heat this in a 5+ quart pan
  2. Once the coconut oil starts to turn clear and bubble, add the green curry paste; stir the two around and cook until fragrant
  3. Add the rest of the coconut milk (~1 ½ cans at this point), mix
  4. Gradually add some fish sauce (I think I ended up with about 2T) and palm sugar (I think I ended up with about 1T) – mix it and taste, stop when you’ve got a balance of salty and sweet that let’s the heat really come through
  5. Add the vegetables (I actually sautéed the cabbage, but I was experimenting, I think dumping it in would be fine too)
  6. I cooked the scallops separately (seared them ~3 minutes on each first side), then poured the curry over them and the quinoa (which I now pretty much always use

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home