Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Not a Resolution (Sausage and Spinach Stir-fry & Fried Bananas)

I've decided to try to not eat flour (made from wheat) for 2 weeks. This is not a New Year's Resolution - I generally avoid those as they never really seem to work. Rather this is an experiment in avoiding processed foods, but doing it in a very (!) limited way. It's also true that I'm probably a bit addicted to flour and taking a break from an addiction doesn't sound like a bad idea.

So tonight for dinner I made a sausage stir-fry with quinoa (just wheat flour, other grains and grain-like things are okay). Basically I just threw together some things I had in the house, but it turned out really well.

Sausage and Spinach Stir-fry
Serves 1

1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 Hot Italian sausages
1 bunch of spinach

2-3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Hot pepper flakes

  1. Sauté onions and garlic. Add salt, pepper and hot pepper as desired.
  2. Sauté sliced sausages.
  3. When everything is cooked, add the spinach and the balsamic and sauté.
  4. Serve (I served mine with quinoa) and Enjoy!


And I made deep fried bananas (with rice flour) for dessert.

Fried Bananas
From It Rains Fishes by Kasma Loha-Unchit (pg 201)
Serves 4

½ cup unbleached white flour
½ cup rice flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup sugar
½ cup red limestone water (this makes it crispy, if you don’t have it, just regular water will work)
1/3 cup lightly toasted sesame seeds
1 cup shredded fresh coconut meat or 2/3 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut with ¼ cup hot water added
4 firm bananas
3-4 cups peanut oil (for deep frying)

  1. Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together into a large bowl.
  2. Add sugar and limestone water. Stir to make a smooth, thick batter.
  3. Then add the sesame seeds and shredded coconut. Mix well.
  4. Cut the bananas in half lengthwise, then in sections about 2 ½ inches long.
  5. Heat 3-4 cups of peanut oil in a wok until hot.
  6. Coat the banana pieces with the batter.
  7. Fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
  8. Remove from oil and drain on a wire strainer.
  9. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.

(I made a few alterations cooking the bananas this time – I got rid of the white flour and replaced it with all rice, didn’t use limestone in the water, didn’t add sesame seeds or coconut. Basically I’ve made the recipe differently every time I’ve made it (based on what I’ve got in the cupboards) and it always tastes good).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home