Friday, December 29, 2006

The Tomato Epiphany (Wednesday)

Anyone who knows me knows that I love tomato products: tomato sauce, salsa, ketchup, etc., but that I don’t particularly care for tomatoes themselves. My friend K did get me into the Italian tomato, mozzarella and basil thing – which I considered a huge step forward (though how anything with olive oil and balsamic could be bad is beyond me). But I had never really done the tomato thing; then yesterday, L and I stopped off at the fruit guy (kilo marker 62-ish) and bought these cherry tomatoes. He started eating them in the car on the way home. I was intrigued and so, without any real hope that I would enjoy it – tried one. It was like candy. By the time we got home, I’d had forty or fifty (they’re really tiny, like small bright red grapes – they have that same pop of flavor and liquid as grapes too, only the flavor is deeper, more earthy, more tomato-ey (I really need to find better ways to describe tastes)).

Today we went over to the east side of Baja to explore a forty foot waterfall (and do the Mexican cliff diving thing (which I chickened out of, settling for a fifteen or so foot rock, but which P, L and O all did – and was awesome (until the 3 Mexican teenagers did the 80 foot jump - at which point it was still pretty cool)) as well as the farm where L has been living.

By the time we got home, we were all hungry. We heated up some chorizo, which everyone else mixed with scrambled eggs – and which I mixed with the left over ratatouille (from lunch yesterday – made with garlic, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, etc.). Every time I felt one of those tiny tomatoes (we hadn’t cut them up, just tossed them in whole), burst with sweetness in my mouth I was so happy. I won’t say that I’m a total convert, but I do think I’m a lot closer than I was last week.

Wednesday's Ratatouille
Quantities based on number of people to be served/Actual ingredients can vary based on availability of fresh vegetables
Onions
Garlic
Eggplant
Summer Squash
Tomatoes

1. Sautee the onions in olive oil
2. When lightly golden, add in garlic, eggplants and summer squash
3. When eggplant and squash are lightly browned, add in tomatoes
4. Cook for a few more minutes


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home