Sunday, January 07, 2007

Not the Madeline (Tea at the Carlyle)

I really love high tea. There's something just so perfect about an event that has great food, great friends and happens in the middle of the day in a totally stress-free way. I'm always happy to go for tea. I have a group of women who agree with me that this is a great way to spend a couple of hours (and together we've tried many of the best ones in New York); today 6 of us met up at The Carlyle (a little secret here - they will let you make a reservation if you have more than five people).

To be honest, my two favorite parts of tea are the ceremony

and the scones - which includes the cream and jam since they're a necessary part (the scones at The Carlyle are served hot out of the oven, they're really some of the best I've had).

I did in fact have 3 and 1/2 of these scones liberally covered with cream and jam. This over-indulgence ws balanced by the decaf Earl Grey (not really)


The sweet deserts are not my favorite, but these looked really good (I was too full to of scones to actually try any).



And the sandwiches were good, but not the best I've ever had. I had the egg salad which I quite liked and the cucumber which was okay. So if tea sandwiches are are your big thing, you might like another tea better, but if (like me), scones (again, including the cream and the jam) are the most important, then the Carlyle is great.

We did have a slight issue with the bill, but they cleared it up beyond perfectly.

By the way, I know that I had said no flour for 2 weeks, but I had this scheduled (and wasn't going to skip the scones) so I gave myself a 2 hour out - this is the only one though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like Lunch is a great way to try out expensive fancy restaurants, tea is a great way to hit the top hotels. I find the afternoon affair to be the definitions on the word lovely. The scones are by far the best part of Tea at the Carlyle. The egg sandwhiches were also quite good, but only if you order one. If you aske for more they are not as expertly prepared as the 1st. I also like the St. Regis for tea, but it more expensive.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you wear to tea? What was the general dress code?

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home