Thursday, January 04, 2007

Flourless Sushi (Gajyumaru)

So, day 3 of my life without flour was pretty painless. I had Indian for lunch (skipped the nan) and tonight for dinner I had sushi (both tonight and last night my refrain was, "I'm okay with anything except pizza and Mexican" (pizza for the flour and Mexican because as much as I love it, after a week, I was ready for a change)).

My friend C and I went to Gajyumaru (1659 1st Avenue between 86th and 87th), which is one of my very favorite sushi places in the city. And it didn't disappoint. It's nothing fancy or hip, though it's nice. In fact, it's a pretty standard Japanese sushi place - which is not that easy to find in NY. It's the kind of place you would find in Japan (and I don't think I've ever been there where there wasn't at least one table of Japanese people there). I was, in fact, introduced to it by a good Japanese friend. Not that any of that is a guarantee of quality, but in this case, the indicators do lead to a great sushi place.

The downside for some would be that there's not a lot of the American sushi specialties (the funkier stuff), but that's not what I like anyway. I'm pretty traditional in my sushi taste. So I keep coming back, because the fish is good and the sushi is well made.

I have a pretty standard order - though tonight I was a little extra hungry and threw in a bit more than usual. So I ended up with:


Nigiri sushi (the individual pieces)
  • Maguro (tuna) - the nice clear red pieces
  • Hamachi (yellowtail) - the pretty pink - particularly good tonight
  • Hotate (scallop) - the beige-y one - was nice and fresh, good flavor
  • Uni (sea urchin) - the bright orange ones - really good earthy flavor tonight

Maki sushi (rolls)

  • Negitoro (green onion and fatty tuna) - the pink and green center - really good tonight (as usual), if you've never tried this, it's worth getting if they have it, the onion contrasts really nicely with the fattiness of the toro
  • Eel & avocado - the yellow/green/brown center - this is the one roll that I don't ever remember having in Japan that I absolutely love; in my view, adding avocado to sushi is one of the best culinary advances made by Americans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home