Thursday, January 11, 2007

Variation on a Theme (Chocolate Pudding 2)

Unfortunately, three servings of chocolate pudding were unable to quell my obsession with the topic (I think that I may have the Amateur Gourmet to blame for this, but since living well is the best revenge, I’m just going to keep trying different variations). And so today, I needed to make more. Because I had gone shopping, I had heavy cream and so decided to do one of the other Pot de Crème recipes. However, all of the ones that I found involved 30-55 minutes of baking and a few hours in the fridge. This was not going to work for me with my immediate need (I’m all for delayed gratification, just not right now).

So, I opened up the epicurious recipe I used a few days ago. This one called for whole milk, which I still didn’t have. So I figured half cream half skim, that’s sort of whole milk – only better. I also decided to shave the cornstarch down a bit (mainly because cornstarch always seems like a cheat to me, but also because the I thought the first pudding might be even better a little less firm).

Chocolate Pudding (Version 2)
Serves 2 (that’s per epicurious, I would say 4 generous servings, just use smaller ramekins)

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3.5 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) (that’s the Valhrona bar size)
½ cup heavy cream
5/6 cup skim milk
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  1. In a heavy saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and a pinch salt.
  2. Chop chocolate and add to sugar mixture.
  3. In a bowl whisk together milk and egg yolk and gradually whisk into chocolate mixture.
  4. Bring mixture just to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly, and boil 1 minute, whisking.
  5. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
  6. Divide pudding between two 8-ounce ramekins. Chill puddings in freezer, surfaces covered with plastic wrap, until cooled, about 30 minutes.
  7. Enjoy!

This version was definitely better than version 1 (not too huge a leap of faith given the conversion of skim milk to cream). Next time I think I will try more egg yolks and even less cornstarch. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home