Friday, December 01, 2006

The Hamburger Fray

One of the great things about NY is the battles that exist that will never be won (e.g., the best baseball team, the best way to get from a to b). Everyone has an opinion and arguments are not about convincing, because no one ever converts. And so, as I write this post on my favorite hamburger, I am in no way deluding myself into believing that I will sway those who have an alternate belief system. I am merely exercising my right as American to expound on the joys of a burger from J.G. Melon’s.

I know the detractions. Yes, it’s pricey (for a burger, not bad for a dinner); yes, the wait is long (I waited 2 months for a table at French Laundry, so I guess, relatively, 40 minutes isn’t bad); yes, it’s on the Upper East Side (I’m not even going to get into that one). I also know the burgers that people put up in comparison: Shake Shack (good burger, better shake and awesome to be outside), Corner Bistro (good burger, after drinks), etc.

But at the end of the day, what matters is the burger
and the burger at Melon’s is amazing. It may even be perfection (not something I see often in my life and so I’m somewhat hesitant to make that call). I order the same thing every time: Cheddar burger, medium rare, grilled onions. When it arrives, I add ketchup, pickles and raw onions. I then cut it into quarters – it’s so juicy that it has a tendency to mash into a mess if you try to eat the whole thing at once. Life is good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand about battles that will never be won. But I'm perplexed about why you think the Hamburger War is one such. I thought that everyone knew that Jackson Hole--64th Street was the only place in New York (or really anywhere) for the discerning burgerphile to eat.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you haven't been to Burger Joint

1:29 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Was just checking out an early preview of Ed Levine, et. al.'s new site (Serious Eats - go to www.amateurgourmet.com for the login info). And what to my wondering eyes does appear, but a thread on burgers. Another proof point on the subject of endless joyous debate.

PS Jackson Hole - I'm just shaking my head on that one. I do keep meaning to try Burger Joint though and will let you know how I like it.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home