Thursday, November 30, 2006

Streetmeat


Streetmeat is not the most appetizing name for anything, which just proves Shakespeare right. Today for lunch, I had what is definitely one of the top bargains in NYC. Lunch from one of the Halal carts. But not just any cart, the one I like is at 54th & Park, SW corner. It is tempting to assume that the fact that these carts are more numerous than McDonald's means that they have a similar philosophy to McDonald's (it's about consistency, more than anything else - like taste). But this is just simply not the case.

One day a colleague volunteered to run out and buy lunch, and he brought back the same styrofoam dish, but the meat was vinegary - a totally different meal. And one I didn't love. He was one block off and I ended up with a totally different and, to my taste, vastly inferior lunch.

But today, I went out myself and went to the right corner. The line of 15 people moved really quickly, which was good because I was starving. I got my usual: spinach rice, lamb, 'salad', lots of white sauce, lots of red. It's the kind of lunch that shouldn't taste as good as it does. There's very little in NY that you can do for $4.50 and eating great food til you're stuffed is generally not one of those things. But today I did (as I do about once a week).

PS For an extra $0.50, the deep fried eggplant is a nice touch - but he was out today (I was running a bit late)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a non-New Yorker, I am curious how many street vendors there are, I know this is a ridiculous question, so more to the point, I wonder if each vendor is unique or if there is a conspiracy among vendors that have unionized and use the same sauces, etc...

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home