Thursday, January 15, 2009

East or West, What is Best: Ouest

Dinner tonight was only amazing in that it happened. I was supposed to have dinner with V. She had to leave work early because she was sick. I emailed C. Before she responsed, S reported that he was in town and going out with L for drinks. Long story short, drinks with S&L then dinner with C, L, O and A. Shouldn't have worked out, but it did.

I didn't really know what to order, nothing really grabbed me. So I was going to get the goat cheese ravioli. Then L asked about the Truffle Omlette "Souffle" (their quotes, not mine). The waiter started salivating - you never really know whether that's for real, but I decided to go for it. I had leftover beef stew for lunch and so didn't want that - but apparently, for me, lamb doesn't count as the other red meat. So I had the "Omlette" and the Rack of Lamb with Creamed Spinach.

I don't want to exaggerate - but the "Truffle" Omlette was amazing. Truly amazing. I would eat another one right now. Except that I'm so full I shouldn't/couldn't. And I'm at home and don't have them here. But seriously, it looks a bit like a pancake, tastes a bit like a quiche (though much, much better - and less beaten) and just makes you happy eating it.

The lamb was great. But I'm stuffed. In retrospect I could have been happy with the "Omlette" and the Creamed Spinach (all pound, or so, of it). The lamb was good (not the best that I've ever had, but eminently eatable), but not earth-shattering. The Omlette and the Spinach just might have been that good. And (brave soul that I am) I would be willing to try.

And they have Vanilla Creme Brulee. Vanilla. Not orange blossom with freeze dried passion fruit flowers. Or lavender scented that can be eaten and slept on later. Or actually made with faux-milk, faux-sugar, faux-everything...

Anyway, the meal was great. The converations was better. All in all a good night. And I'd go back for the "Omlette"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home