Friday, April 06, 2007

Condrieu

I had never even heard of Condrieu until C&L's wine tasting a couple of weeks ago. As a less-than-enthusiastic white drinker, I tried it only because it was the only thing open (I was there a bit early (invited early to help, not because I don't know how to read an invitation)) and I had had a long day and was ready for the weekend to officially 'start'.

I had a sip. Paused. Felt a confused facial expression cross my face. I had another sip. I liked it. It wasn't just that it was drinkable (as I find some whites). It was delicious. I really liked it. I actually went back for seconds (even knowing that we were going to very soon be tasting the Chateauneuf du Pape's that I love). I guess that it's true as with so many other things, just when you stop looking, that's when you find it. I found a white that really worked for me.

And then in this week's Times I found out that this is a wine experiencing a resurgence of popularity - a fashionable wine (I guess should have assumed that, given that I (Miss Fashionable) liked it so much). They even reviewed the one I liked the Guigal Blanc 2004 - they gave it 2 1/2 stars, but considered it one of their Best Values.

Interestingly enough, this is a wine that was almost wiped out except for the New World's interest in the viognier grape (a wine I'm so-so on) - and so I can now live my life safe in the knowledge that I truly like (some) white wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home