Sunday, April 01, 2007

Variations

I use a number of different sources for my recipes, but Epicurious is one of my favorites - because it is so easy. I can type in whatever it is I'm thinking (a particular course, an ingredient, etc.) and instantly find options.

I like reading the reviews, not that I always listen to what others say, but I often find it helpful to see other people's experiences. Small variations, unexpected occurances, etc. - it's like having a friend who cooked it give you advice. What I tend not to find helpful is when people make it into a totally different recipe - and based on comments I've seen, I was pretty sure that I was not the only one who got irritated when these folks rate something totally different from what they actually made.

I didn't, however, understand how widespread the problem was until I saw the NY Times article For Orange Zest, Substitute Kool-Aid. I think my favorite was the chicken tenders substituted for sushi-grade tuna (it's like a bad April Fools joke).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home